From Round to Square (and back)

For The Emperor's Teacher, scroll down (↓) to "Topics." It's the management book that will rock the world (and break the vase, as you will see). Click or paste the following link for a recent profile of the project: http://magazine.beloit.edu/?story_id=240813&issue_id=240610

A new post appears every day at 12:05* (CDT). There's more, though. Take a look at the right-hand side of the page for over four years of material (2,000 posts and growing) from Seinfeld and country music to every single day of the Chinese lunar calendar...translated. Look here ↓ and explore a little. It will take you all the way down the page...from round to square (and back again).
*Occasionally I will leave a long post up for thirty-six hours, and post a shorter entry at noon the next day.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Hurtin', Leavin' and Longin' (32)—Thinkin' Problem

[a] Stormy RF
David Ball has cognition challenges, a thinkin' problem. As the song opens, he chants the twelve-step phrasing that states his utter lack of of control when it comes to thinkin'. Let us be clear on one thing. Mr. Ball isn't obsessed with Immanuel Kant's articulation of the categorical imperative, or even Martin Heidegger's concept of "thrownness" (Geworfenheit).

No, he is thinkin'....about her.

He done screwed up, or at least something went wrong. Now he can't stop thinking about it. Take a listen. 
     Thinkin' Problem
        Artist: David Ball, Allen Shamblin, Stuart Ziff
        Songwriter: David Ball

(Chorus)

[b] Almost RF
Yes, I admit
I've got a thinking problem
She's always on my mind
Her memory goes round and round
I've tried to quit a thousand times


Yes, I admit I've got a thinking problem
Fill the glass up to the top
I'll start with loving her
But I don't know when to stop


I wake up, and right away
Her name is on my lips
Once a memory starts to fold
Well, I can't stop with just one sip


Chorus


I keep on remembering
How good it used to be
Getting stoned all along
On my favorite memory

Chorus


I'll start with loving her
But I don't know when to stop.
[c] Dissonant RF
A few Nashville songwriters seem to understand cognitive dissonance much better than others. David Ball is one, and Clint Black is another. It will be little wonder that they will be featured often on Round and Square's series of "Hurtin', Leavin', and Longin' posts. This song taps (figuratively, and on several levels) into starting the teeming flow of memories and being unable—helpless, really—to stop them. This is, of course, not the least bit funny in many lives. It is one of the distinctive features of country music (at least from my "reading") that it can treat certain topics somewhat ironically, while still channeling the seriousness of the original idea. This may be my wishful interpretation, but it seems to me (the lyrics more than the video) that the seriousness of being "lost in thought" (or drink) is not lost on Mr. Ball.

The notion of memory going 'round and 'round is especially apt in this context. Anyone who has ever fallen captive to painful memories ("I should have acted differently" or "Why did I say that?") knows the swirling of remembered details and "what if" questions. It doesn't matter whether it is something from high school many years ago (why won't these thoughts go away?) or a misstatement yesterday. Our thoughts—they swirl 'round and 'round. With that in mind, it is not at all difficult to find an East Asian lyric. In fact, it is just a little too easy this week. Memory, alcohol, and a little aging to go along with it are staples of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean poetry. I have chosen Yan Yu, a poet who flourished at the end of twelfth and beginning of the thirteenth centuries in China. He has a boat mooring problem.

          My Boat Moored on a River
          Yan Yu (fl. 1200)

          At the edge of the world, a traveler long used to grief;
          By the riverbank, the familiar post station.
          The wind lowers the wild geese by the riverbank,
          Snow dims the cabin lamp at night.
          Poor and old, I sigh at life's stupidities;
          Madly singing, I dread sobering after wine.
          When can this body find a resting place?
          A drifting duckweed on the river.[1]
                                                  —Translated by Irving Lo

[1]  Wu-chi Liu and Irving Yucheng Lo, Sunflower Splendor: Three Thousand Years of Chinese Poetry (Bloomington IN: Indiana University Press, 1974), 405.

Bibliography
Liu Wu-chi and Irving Yucheng Lo. Sunflower Splendor: Three Thousand Years of Chinese Poetry. Bloomington IN: Indiana University Press, 1974.

NEXT
Sunday, December 18th
Hello Darlin'
Awkward. Conway Twitty runs into his ol' darlin'. The lyrical monologue that follows is as iconic as any in the history of country music.

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine wrote a poem on a "thinkin' problem." I quite like it.

    "Thoughts" by William Hurst

    Who knew thoughts stood bow-legged?
    Who knew they hopped so,
    dove through the grass so, flitting their heads
    one way and then the other
    in a type of wide-angle tunnel vision
    that comes from seeing from only one side
    of the head?

    Who knew they had beaks, now tapping,
    now prying, now ripping flesh away
    from bone? Thoughts strong enough
    to crack seeds, tight enough to grip
    and not release: the crane clutching
    the fish which lets go for dear life.


    The last line, which I had to have explained, makes the poem for me.

    -William Locke

    ReplyDelete